n sidewalk. Brits call the part that cars drive on “Tarmac.” I wonder how many holidaymakers have been run over as a result of this confusion. Well, probably none really. I digress. Historically, “sidewalk” is in fact an old, now-unused British English word meaning exactly what the Americans take it to mean.

In categories

Travel & Transport

Related words

offside, omnibus, Pelican crossing, petrol

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *